Full disclosure: we love burgers! And definitely not because we miss the taste of meat. My guess is because we just can’t say ‘no’ to some veggie deliciousness stuck between two round pieces of bread. So, as you can imagine, this led to a long and mostly tasty search for the perfect veggie burger. And I’m happy to say: we have a winner!
Full of hearty mushrooms, lentils, sweet potatoes and lots of spices this burger is truly mouth-watering! On to the recipe!
Ingredients for 6 burgers
- 500 gr. chopped mushrooms
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large diced yellow onion
- 1 can cooked lentils
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3-6 cloves garlic, minced (ok, I used at least 6)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (I add it in mostly anything these days)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons quinoa flour
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- ketchup sauce (we’ll get to that later)
- slider buns
- Cut the sweet potato in small cubes (about 1/4 inch) and sauté it in a heated skillet with 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil for about 10 minutes.
- Dice the mushrooms and the onion and add them to the skillet. Sauté for about 5-10 minutes until golden, then transfer to a plate to let the mixture cool. After it’s cooled add it to the food processor together with the rest of the ingredients and blend it. Be careful not to over blend so it can still maintain a little texture.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts and shape them into patties. Heat the skillet again, adding the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Carefully cook the patties on both sides until brown.
- Cut the buns in two and assemble you perfect veggie burgers using homemade ketchup sauce and some watercress.
- Best served warm, but also work very well the next day packed in a lunch box.
P.S. These make perfect meatballs too, so you can use the same recipe for you favorite spaghetti & meatballs!